Faithful: Two Diehard Boston Red Sox Fans Chronicle the Historic 2004 Season
The 10th Anniversary Special Limited Edition
by Stephen King and Stewart O’Nan
About the Book:
Early in 2004, two writers and Red Sox fans, Stewart O’Nan and Stephen King, decided to chronicle the upcoming season, one of the most hotly anticipated in baseball history. They would sit together at Fenway. They would exchange emails. They would write about the games.
As it happened, they would also witness the greatest comeback ever in sports and the first Red Sox championship in eighty-six years. What began as a Sox-filled summer like any other became a fan’s notes for the ages. And now, ten years later, this special edition will allow fans everywhere to relive that magical season one more time.
Faithful: The 10th Anniversary Special Edition is the debut title from Books to Benefit, a new specialty press that works directly with bestselling authors to publish collectible Limited Edition books to raise funds and awareness for good causes.
Special Bonus Features:
Includes the essays “It’s Weird But True: The Gloom is Gone in Mudville” by Stephen King and “Love Train” by Stewart O’Nan, which did not appear in the original hardcover.
This Book Benefits:
A minimum of thirty percent of the retail price from this special edition will be donated to The Haven Foundation and to organizations that promote cancer care and research. The Haven Foundation gives financial assistance to provide temporary support needed to safeguard and sustain the careers of established freelance artists. The authors also support cancer care and research organizations such as The Jimmy Fund in Boston, Massachusetts. You can donate directly to The Haven Foundation via their website and to The Jimmy Fund via their website.
Available For Preorder From These Independent Booksellers:
Cemetery Dance Publications • PS Publishing (UK and Europe) • Camelot Books • The Overlook Connection • Bad Moon Books • Dark Hollow Books • Ziesings.com • Betts Books • Wrigley-Cross Books
• Slipcased Deluxe Hardcover Gift Edition: Limited to a one-time printing of only 1,500 copies printed on a high quality acid free paper stock and featuring a fine Smyth-sewn binding, two-color printing throughout the book, a sewn-in ribbon page marker, illustrated endpapers, and housed in a deluxe slipcase featuring two-color hot foil stamping ($85)
• Signed & Traycased Deluxe Hardcover Limited Edition: Limited to a one-time printing of only 448 hand-numbered copies personally signed by Stewart O’Nan, printed on a high quality paper stock and featuring a fine Smyth-sewn binding, two-color printing throughout the book, a sewn-in ribbon page marker, illustrated endpapers, and housed in a custom deluxe traycase ($225)
• Signed & Traycased Deluxe Hardcover Lettered Edition: Limited to a one-time printing of only 26 hand-lettered copies signed by Stewart O’Nan, printed on a high quality paper stock and featuring a hand-bound “three piece” binding with a special Japanese book cloth and a fine leather, two-color printing throughout the book, a sewn-in ribbon page marker, imported French marbled endpapers, and housed in a deluxe hand-made custom traycase ($750)
“Of all the books that will examine the Boston Red Sox’s stunning come-from-behind 2004 ALCS win over the Yankees and subsequent World Series victory, none will have this book’s warmth, personality or depth… But King and O’Nan are, admittedly, more eloquent than average baseball fans (or average sportswriters, for that matter), and their book will provide Red Sox readers an opportunity to relive every nail-biting moment of a memorable season. ”
– Publishers Weekly
“Faithful isn’t just about the Red Sox. It’s also about family, friendship, and what it truly means to be a baseball fan and to be — well, faithful, come hell or high water… The season was full of priceless moments, and King and O’Nan catch nearly all of them in amber.”
– Frank Mosher, The Boston Globe
“King and O’Nan are the kind of fans who make for great baseball companions: knowledgeable, opinionated, funny, and irreverent.”
– Bob Minzesheimer, USA Today
“A sweet romance… the details are priceless.”
– Kyle Smith, People
“Faithful is ultimately a quasi-religious book about what all great religions should be founded upon: love — in all its blindness and terror and euphoria and purity and, yes, addiction.”
– Dennis Lehane, Entertainment Weekly
About the Authors:
Stephen King is the author of more than fifty books, all of them worldwide bestsellers. His novel 11/22/63 was named a top ten book of 2011 by The New York Times Book Review and won the Los Angeles Times Book Prize for Mystery/Thriller as well as the Best Hardcover Book Award from the International Thriller Writers Association. He is the recipient of the 2003 National Book Foundation Medal for Distinguished Contribution to American Letters. He lives in Bangor, Maine, with his wife, novelist Tabitha King.
Stewart O’Nan’s award-winning fiction includes Snow Angels, A Prayer for the Dying, Last Night at the Lobster, and Emily, Alone. Granta named him one of America’s Best Young Novelists. He lives in Pittsburgh.